God cares about every aspect of our lives. There is nothing in our lives remote from God's care. Therefore, there is nothing in our lives outside of God's call and claim. When we respond and promise to follow Jesus, we embrace his summary of the law and we promise to "love the Lord your God will all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength." Mark 12.30
The Wellness Committee encourages wellness - physical, spiritual, relational - as a faithful response to God, and as a commitment to a healthy congregation as well as healthy families, and communities.
TASTY THIRD THURSDAYS COOKING CLASSES
Tasty Third Thursdays is a monthly garden-to-table class focusing on nutrition and cooking. The class meets at Community Crossroads (1516 Hemphill Street, Fort Worth) on the third Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. . The April 20 class will feature Heath Brosi, First Presbyterian Church's Director of Hospitality, leading the cooking class. Heath will teach us how to make a stovetop dish with chicken, rice, and veggies that provides anti-inflammatory benefits. Questions? Contact Keri Casciari.
TAI CHI: MONDAYS AT 10 A.M.
The Wellness Committee is excited to offer Tai Chi to the First Pres community every Monday morning at 10 a.m. in Room 244 beginning August 1. Tai Chi is a graceful form of exercise that can reduce stress and promotes general physical and mental health. Often described as meditation in motion, tai chi promotes serenity through gentle, flowing movements. Tai Chi will meet on Mondays from 10-11 a.m. in Room 244.
PICKLEBALL IN THE GYM
The Wellness Committee is excited to offer a number of opportunities to play Pickleball in the First Pres gym! Pickleball is a fun, social sport for all ages and skill levels that combines elements of ping-pong, badminton, and tennis, has simple rules, and is easy to learn. With two courts available, up to 8 players can get together for a fun game that is as competitive or as casual as you want it to be. Times currently available are 12-2 p.m. and 4-6 p.m. each Tuesday through Friday, and 6-8 p.m. on Wednesdays.
CLICK HERE TO RESERVE A COURT TIME
VALUES CONCERNING WELLNESS
- Wellness assumes a mindful integration among spirit, mind, and body among person, family, and community.
- FPC tends well to the spirit and to the mind. Wellness ministries seek to integrate a congregational emphasis also on the body.
- Wellness happens within relationships — with God, self, family members, and fellow church members. Wellness ministry engages the entire community.
- Self-care is a tool for Christian faithfulness, not an end to itself, and is not motivated by vanity or competition.
- Personal wellness inspires commitment to healthy families and healthy communities.
- Eating well is more about what we eat than what we do not eat, and involves the conscious choice to fuel the body, to delight the senses, and to encourage table fellowship.
- Physical activity and exercise take many forms depending on age and health, and are life-giving.
Ongoing Activities Promoting Wellness
Balance Workshops (no class in October)
Walking Moai Groups
First Response Teams
WELLNESS PROGRAM WAIVER AND RELEASE
All those participating in physical activities and programs of the Wellness Ministry must complete a Waiver/Liability Release form.
DOWNLOAD THE WELLNESS COOKBOOK
Last December, the Wellness Committee collected a group of recipes for our neighbors at Community Crossroads. We are now able to share that compilation with you! The recipes focus on dinners with sections on pork, chicken, beef, fish, pasta and rice, vegetables and fruit, and salads. Enjoy trying some ideas.