At First Presbyterian Church we are committed to keeping children and youth safe from harm so that they can grow in God’s grace through a happy and healthy childhood. Part of our commitment includes making sure that no child or youth is physically, sexually or emotionally abused while in our care. You can view our Child and Youth Protection Policy here.
FPC has a five-part system in place to keep children and youth safe, outlined in the following video and below that in text. YOU MUST SUBMIT THE FORM BELOW AFTER WATCHING THE VIDEO SO WE CAN TRACK THAT ALL OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE BEEN PROPERLY TRAINED. Thank you!
AFTER VIEWING THE VIDEO, PLEASE SUBMIT THIS FORM.
- Skillful Screening: Key staff members in the areas of Children and Youth Ministry have been trained in skillful screening. This training gives us the tools to recognize high-risk responses on applications.
- Background Checks: A criminal background check is critical to our system of keeping children and youth safe. It cannot be our only piece since we know that many abusers never make it to the criminal justice system but it is a necessary piece. Every volunteer will be background checked prior to working with children or youth.
- Awareness Training: Every volunteer must complete awareness training prior to volunteering with children or youth. Awareness training teaches volunteers how to recognize grooming and abuse behavior on the part of would be abusers.
- Policies and Procedures: One of the best ways to keep children safe from abuse and adults safe from possible accusations of misconduct is to make sure that every volunteer is aware of our policies and procedures for working with children and youth.
- Monitoring and Oversight: Our five-part system is only good if we maintain it. Currently, Rev. Dr. Josh Stewart (Associate Pastor for Youth) serves as the Administrator of the Children and Youth Protection Policy. He is responsible for monitoring and oversight and ensures that we follow our screening process, maintaining our background checks, and working to make sure our policies and procedures are being followed. The Administrator of this policy does so under the supervision of the Moderator of Session, Rev. Dr. Michael Waschevski.
We appreciate our volunteers at FPC and all they do to keep our children and youth safe. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact Ann Nielsen, Director of Children and Family Ministries, at 817.335.1231, ext. 232.